Remove the huge stigma with best before dates on food. The best before date is about quality not safety. The food is still good to eat however it may not have its full flavour. Many people throw away anything that is out of its date even when it is perfectly good.
There are also many ways we can keep our foods for longer at home (waaaay after that best before date).
1. Store an apple with your potatoes, this should keep them for twice as long.
2. Keep bananas separate from other produces.
3. Invest in a breadbox, or if you're using your bread just for toast, freeze it!
4. Keep mushrooms in a paper bag.
5. Utilise your freezer. Freeze anything you won't be eating for a few days.
And a step further for any vegetable scraps you may have, store them in a. freezer bag and when you've got enough, you can boil them and make a broth.